Foundress Sister Catherine Donnelly and two other Sisters arrived in August 1930 to teach in the three-room Celtic Public School. Established in 1927, this community in central Alberta was settled by 50 immigrant families from Northern Ireland.
For the first two years, the three Sisters lived in a small cold rented house, which was far from the school. Father George Daly received $500 from the Catholic Church Extension and raised another $1,000 to build a suitable house for the Sisters, which was close to the church and school. The local community supplied the manual labour. The mission was closed in June 1933.
Smoky Lake, Alberta Previous
Next Stony Plain, Alberta